top of page

Titanic Voyage - 14th April (Day 5)

Sunday 14th April 1912

The last full day before the disaster


The wireless operators, Phillips and Bride, managed to finally fix the wireless system.

The backlog of messages kept them up all night.


Titanic received a message from the S.S. Coronia saying:

‘Captain, Titanic – West-bound steamers report bergs, growlers and field ice in 42° N, from 49° to 51° W, April 12th. Compliments, Barr’

The message was delivered to the Bridge and posted it for officers to read.

The wireless massage from the S.s. Coronia


Sunday Christian Services were being held throughout the ship.

Protestant services for all classes, and Catholic services for second and third class.

Each held in their respective dining saloons.


A lifeboat drill was scheduled for today.

However it was cancelled as they did not want to stop the ship when she was performing so well. Crew also thought it necessary to not disturb the passengers Sunday services. It was also felt as unnecessary as they already performed a drill back in Southampton that was very successful.

Lifeboat drill being conducted on Olympic


The daily mileage report was released.

Titanic had traveled 549 miles since noon the previous day, and over 1500 miles since Ireland. Averaging a speed of 22.8 Knots, already exceeding her expectation and still not with all of her boilers lit.

First class passenger Elizabeth Lines overheard Smith and Ismay talking about the daily mileage report and heard Ismay saying:

"Today was better than yesterday, we will beat the Olympic and get into New York on Tuesday night, or something to that effect".

She was insinuating that Ismay was pressing Smith to light the final boilers.

Distance Titanic traveled. Artwork by RMSTitanic.Design


Titanic received a message from the S.S. Baltic II saying:

‘Greek steamer Athenia reports passing icebergs and large quantities of field ice today in latitude 41° 51′ N, longitude 49° 52′ W. Wish you and Titanic all success. Commander.’

This message was delivered to Captain Edward John Smith as he talked to Bruce Ismay. Ismay pocketed the piece of paper, and later showed it to several passengers.


Titanic received a message from the S.S. Amerika saying:

‘Amerika passed two large icebergs in 41° 27′ N, 50° 8′ W on April 14.’

This message was actually a private one to the US Hydrographic Office in Washington DC, overheard by Titanic’s radio operators. Regrettably, it never made its way to the bridge.

Telegram from S.S. Amerika via Titanic


During lunch, the the Grand Staircase had been freshly mopped.

First class passenger Irene Harris was walking down the stairs and slipped, tumbling down to the landing and breaking her arm.

She was seen by the doctor and her arm treated. She was in good spirits and her fellow passengers teased her over it.


Smith saw Ismay and asked for the return of the ice message received earlier at lunch.

Ismay obliged and then it was finally posted in the chart room.


Captain Smith attended a dinner party in the A la Carte restaurant hosted by the Widners family.


A Hymn service was being held in the second class dining saloon by Reverend Carter.

The second class dining saloon on Olympic


Titanic received a message from S.S. Californian saying:

‘To Captain, Antillian: Six-thirty pm, apparent ship’s time; latitude 42° 3′ N, longitude 49° 9′ W. Three large bergs 5 miles to the southward of us. Regards, Lord.’

This message was actually to Antillian, but overheard by Titanic’s radio operators. This was delivered by Bride to the Bridge, although Captain Smith was not made aware of it.


Titanic received a message from S.S. Mesaba saying:

‘From Mesaba to Titanic . In latitude 42° N to 41° 25′, longitude 49° W to longitude 50° 30′ W, saw much heavy pack ice and great number large icebergs, also field ice, weather good, clear.’

This message never reached the bridge. Harold Bride was getting some much needed sleep, and Jack Phillips was busy on the key sending and receiving commercial traffic to Cape Race.


Captain Smith retired from the dinner party early and was on the Bridge speaking to Second Officer Charles Lightoller. They discussed the weather conditions, everything appeared to be clear, the water was calm and the conditions were perfect.

It was decided to keep sailing on as normal.


Second Officer Charles Lightoller was relieved by First Officer William Murdoch.

Lookouts Frederick Fleet and Reginald Lee begin their watch in the Titanic's crow's nest. The night is unusually calm, making icebergs more difficult to see—because there are no waves breaking at the icebergs. Adding to the difficulties is the fact that the crow’s nest's binoculars have been misplaced.


Titanic received a message from the nearby S.S. California saying:

“Say, old man, we are stopped and surrounded by ice.”

An annoyed Phillips responds:

“Shut up! Shut up! I am busy. I am working Cape Race.”

The California thought this very rude and shut down his system for the night.

The message did not make it to the Bridge.


The public rooms had closed for the night however an extended card game was going on in the first class smoke room which made the attendants to keep the room open later than usual.

But most passengers had already retired to their rooms.

The First class smoking room on Olympic


Lookout Fleet sees an iceberg in the Titanic's path and rings the bell three times to indicate that something is ahead. He then calls the bridge to let them know that there is an iceberg right ahead. Murdoch orders the Titanic “hard-a-starboard”


The ship starts to turn slowly avoiding an head-on collision.

But the starboard side of the ship scrapes along the iceberg. A light vibration shakes through the ship.


Murdoch responds by ordering the ship to "hard-a-port" in an attempt to fishtail around the berg.

Realising the ship had hit, he orders the watertight compartment doors to be closed.


Captain Smith arrives back on the bridge after feeling the unusual vibrations.

Murdoch tells Smith that they've hit an iceberg.

Smiths orders and inspection of the damage.


Early reports tell Captain Smith that water has been found in at least the first five compartments and the Mail room is already under water.

Thomas Andrews, the ship designer is on the Bridge to discuss the damage. He says to Smith that the ship was designed to float with the first four compartments flooded but not five.

Andrews predicts that the ship only has one to two hours before it fully sinks.

The watertight compartments diagram of Titanic

Written by Chris Walker of RMSTitanic.Design

164 views0 comments

Related Posts

See All